Lone Star Legal Aid (LSLA) seeks one Staff Attorney - Justice for Crime Survivors/LAV through Crime Victims Unit (job # CNR 015-2022) for its Conroe Branch Office.
LSLA is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit law firm and its mission is to protect and advance the civil rights of low-income Texans by providing advocacy, legal representation, and community education that ensure equal access to justice.
Summary of Responsibilities
This position is funded by DOJ-LAV. Staff Attorneys must be able to gather evidence, conduct civil lawsuits, draft legal documents, and advise clients about their legal rights. Staff Attorneys must also be able to interview clients and witnesses, as well as handle other details in preparation for client legal representation. LSLA Staff Attorneys represent clients in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government. They interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for clients and the client community. They are involved with outreach, community education, and work with the community to further the mission of LSLA. The successful applicant may supervise and coordinate activities of subordinate legal, clerical, volunteer, or student workers. He/She will be expected to handle a case load, major litigation, attend evening legal clinics, and participate in community education. Bilingual (Spanish & English) speaking/writing skills preferred.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Graduate of an accredited Law School
- Licensed to practice in Texas or qualify for reciprocity
- Prior legal services or public interest experience preferred
Minimum Skills and Abilities
- Strong legal writing and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated client service orientation
- Skilled in interviewing, assessment, problem solving and negotiation
- Strong ability to work under pressure and make decisions quickly
- Demonstrated ability to aggressively pursue the rights of the client community
- Energetic, motivated and self starter
Location: Conroe, Texas. The successful applicant must have reliable transportation in order to travel throughout the counties served by this office.
Lone Star Legal Aid is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.