The Intake and Assessment Paralegal will work as a member of the intake and assessment team to conduct intake and assessment of new clients via the CLA SoCal Hotline and outreach events. This full-time non-exempt position reports to the Directing Attorney.
- Screen clients for eligibility and obtain demographic information.
- Complete client intakes over the telephone and enter the appropriate data into legal database.
- Determine and document legal problems and relay advice and counsel given by attorney to eligible clients over the phone.
- Conduct in-person intake at the office or off-site clinics or outreach events.
- Follow compliance policies and procedures for client intake.
- Dependent on grant, assist with grant reporting and tracking grant deliverables.
- Maintain detailed and accurate case notes and timekeeping in case management system (LegalServer).
- Prepare and maintain client files, electronic and/or physical.
- Assist attorneys with intake and initial client appointments.
- Interview clients. Effectively and efficiently communicate with clients.
- Prepare legal forms, pleadings, memoranda, correspondence and other legal documents. Assist with citation checking.
- Assist attorneys with case investigation, witness interviews, factual and legal research.
- Perform various clerical duties such as record-keeping, document copying, e-Filing, etc.
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems as needed.
- When qualified, engage in interpretation and translation for attorneys.
- Work with community groups, conduct outreach, and provide community education presentations and materials.
- Work with a multi-cultural perspective of inclusion and diversity.
- Work with and mentor paralegal and law students, interns, and volunteers.
- Follow all organizational and grant compliance policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as required to meet the needs of the organization.
- Type 30 wpm.
- Ability to learn data entry techniques and use technology to communicate with our staff and/or clients.
- Ability to handle difficult and stressful client situations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, active insurance policy and ability to travel frequently in and around the service area for representation and to engage with clients and community partners.
- Paralegal certificate, paralegal degree or
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of one year of law-related experience under the supervision of an attorney who has been an active member of the State Bar of California for at least the preceding three years or who has practiced in the federal courts of this state for at least the preceding three years, and a written declaration from this attorney stating that the person is qualified to perform paralegal tasks.
- Strong technical skills; including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
- Excellent analytical, communication, and listening skills.
- Reliable team player and multitasker.
- Self-motivated, ability to learn quickly, initiative to problem-solve.
- Capacity to meet strict deadlines.
- Great organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Desire to learn as well as share knowledge with other team members.
- Empathetic and energetic attitude while working with others.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of clients utilizing client-centered lawyering and trauma-informed frameworks.
- Proven interest in social justice issues.
- Ability to model CLA SoCal’s values (compassion, collaboration, trust, accountability and excellence) in the performance of job duties – Required.
- Commitment to CLA SoCal’s mission – Required.
- Bilingual proficiency – Preferred.
What We Offer
Our staff members work 35-hour week, and we offer a flexible and hybrid work schedule. Some positions may work beyond a 35-hour week, including evening and weekend meetings and events, when caseload or other obligations so necessitate. We also offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance with an optional employee buy-in; and short-term and long-term disability. Our employees have access to paid holidays, vacation, personal time, and sick time on their first day. Employee Assistance Program available. Employees who can prove bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus.
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally sensitive and empathetic services. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment before date of hire. Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
About Community Legal Aid
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a diverse non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the legal needs of low-income residents and seniors throughout Orange and Los Angeles Counties. We focus on removing barriers to equitable access and provide compassionate, high-quality legal aid. Employees are offered professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit.
CLA SoCal is a welcoming, hopeful, anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-oppressive organization that celebrates diversity, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CLA SoCal seeks to fill all positions with people who share our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply including people of different abilities, religions, identities, , orientations, nationalities, and ethnicities.