Agency Overview: The Safe Center LI, Inc. (TSCLI) is the leading provider of services to victims of interpersonal violence in Nassau County. The agency provides comprehensive services to victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, human trafficking, and elder abuse. The Safe Center is a thought leader that seeks to develop and implement innovative interventions to meet the multifaceted needs of victims and survivors.
Summary: The Child Advocacy Center (CAC) is a child-friendly, co-located setting in which law enforcement, child protection, prosecution, mental health, medical, forensic interviewers, and victim advocacy professionals work together to investigate child abuse, help children heal from abuse, and hold offenders accountable. CAC staff work collaboratively with criminal justice and community partners to deliver trauma-focused services to children and families in need. The Advocate Program is a core discipline within the CAC. The Child Victim Advocate (CVA) provides advocacy services to child victims of sexual and severe physical abuse and their non-offending family members with the goal of empowering and equipping families with information, support, and resources to meet their needs and navigate the criminal justice process.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide comprehensive support to a caseload of child victims and their non-offending caregivers who have been impacted by child abuse
- Orient families to the child advocacy center (CAC) and multidisciplinary team approach and provide emotional support and accompaniment throughout the criminal justice process, including forensic interviews, medical exams, and court appointments
- Provide information about the criminal justice process, medical services, victims’ rights, victim compensation, and available services/resources
- Conduct risks and needs assessment, safety planning, and crisis intervention
- Assist families with obtaining victim compensation, meeting concrete needs, and ensure successful linkages to medical, mental health, and other community-based services
- Advocate on behalf of clients with multidisciplinary partners, including medical personnel, law enforcement, child protective services, prosecutors, family court, clinicians, and other community providers
- Participate in case conference meetings and team discussions to support a multidisciplinary approach
- Utilize web-based electronic health record databases to maintain case notes and statistical records
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director and/or Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Social Work, or related field preferred
- One year of experience in the areas of case management/casework, crisis intervention, and/or referral coordination is strongly preferred
- Experience working with trauma survivors, knowledge of dynamics of interpersonal violence, and the ability to adopt a client-centered/strengths-based approach and growth mindset is preferred
- Spoken and written fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred
- One must be able to utilize the following technology: computer, fax machine, copy machine, Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, and SharePoint), and Zoom
HOURS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Position requires the use of a car and a flexible schedule
- Full-time, non-exempt (35 hours/week)
- Monday through Friday 9AM-5PM with one 11AM-7PM shift per week (may need to flex time to meet program needs)
- Includes medical, dental, vision benefits and a generous paid time off package
- Mileage reimbursement provided for agency-related travel
- Position may require overnight travel to conferences/training
- Must be vaccinated against COVID-19
- Annual salary: $38,000 / $40,000 Bilingual
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Safe Center LI is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, , religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, , marital status, parental or familial status, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, , status as a protected veteran, military service, housing status, other non-merit factors, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Safe Center LI believes that diversity and inclusion are critical to providing comprehensive and quality services to the communities we serve. Our goal is to hire, promote and retain a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve, at all job levels. We encourage those with lived experiences in the communities we serve to apply.