Lone Star Legal Aid (LSLA) seeks one Directing Attorney for Program Wide Units (job # HOU 019-2022) for its Houston and/or Rural Branch Offices.
LSLA is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit law firm and its mission is to protect and advance the civil rights of low-income Texans by providing advocacy, legal representation, and community education that ensure equal access to justice.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Directing Attorneys are experienced legal aid attorneys responsible as assigned for supervising and coordinating identified functions, including but not limited to: substantive case or matter areas, strategic litigation and advocacy, case management, case review, special grant development and management, providing guidance on compliance and PAI activities. Directing Attorneys may be assigned to supervise legal work in branch office or unit priority areas, or program wide. Directing Attorneys provide supervision, assistance, and feedback to legal staff members on the development of good lawyer skills, practices and work habits, serve as counsel or co-counsel on a limited number of complex cases, and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Graduate of an accredited Law School;
- Licensed to practice law in Texas or qualify for reciprocity;
- At least five years successful state and federal court litigation experience; and
- At least two years’ experience supervising the work of attorneys.
Minimum Skills and Abilities:
- Develop and implement a range of strategies to enforce the rights of the indigent;
- Commitment to high qualify representation of low income people;
- Work under pressure and make decisions quickly;
- Work effectively in a digital case management system; and
- Teach legal skills and supervisor legal work
Location: All LSLA service areas. This position requires the ability to travel between offices.
Lone Star Legal Aid is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.